The church and the maypole in the village centre
in the middle of the nineteenth century.
Chairman : Mr Geoff Thornton
2. Its objectives are to :-
3. Currently there is a membership of over 60 and in addition there is a list of both UK and overseas subscribers to the Society's regular publication The Barwicker. The Editor of The Barwicker is Pauline Robson.
The society can be contacted in a variety of ways
Check the research section to see if one of the topics in which you are interested is specifically covered by an individual in, or known by, the society. Recently, we have developed a group of individuals who have a specific family history interest in some of the families who have lived in the parish.
The village of Barwick-in-Elmet lies some 8 miles to the east of Leeds in the West Riding of Yorkshire. Location Map
The parish of Barwick-in-Elmet originally covered the area from just to the east of the village westwards to Scholes and Roundhay (which is now a suburb of Leeds). It also covered a number of outlying hamlets from Terry Lug (part of the Bramham House Estate), Potterton, Kiddal and Woodhouse in the north to Barnbow and Manston in the south-west.
The church and the maypole in the village centre as it is today.
It has a long history which starts with a recently discovered Bronze Age settlement about a mile to the south of the village. In the parish and just over the parish boundary there are a number of very large earthworks (still visible today) most of which have recently been the subject of archaeological examination during the course of the construction of the northward extension of the M1 motorway which has recently opened and passes through the south of the parish. Early indications of the examination of the earthworks are that they are from about 100 A.D. and act as a defence from attack from the south. If this is so the current published accounts of the early history of the parish will have to be revised. Currently, the earthworks in the centre of the village of Barwick-in-Elmet are dated as being from about 600 B.C.
The most remarkable feature of the village is its maypole which has stood "since time immemorial" in the centre of Barwick-in-Elmet (see the illustration on this page). The pole is about 90ft. high. It was, until recent concern health and safety legislation got in the way, taken down by a proven age-old method using ropes, ladders and pitch forks and about a hundred men every third Easter. Now it requires a large mobile crane to assist in the process. After painting and maintenance it is re-erected by the same method in reverse on the Tuesday of the Spring Bank Holiday. The next ceremony is in 2014. Articles in the Barwicker about the maypole
An item of unusual interest in Parlington Park which borders the parish is the only monument in the United Kingdom (see the picture) which celebrates Britain's defeat in the American War of Independence. The memorial was erected by Sir Thomas Gascoigne, the Lord of the Manor of Barwick-in-Elmet, to show his approval of someone getting the better of George III. It is more or less a copy of the Arch of Titus at Rome.
|Medieval Mafia||Chris Murphy |
|General topics |
|Hugh Hawkins' Memorial Lecture ||David Teal |
| General Topics |
|Commemoration of the end of World War I|| Society members |
| General Topics |
|Roman Roads near Leeds||Mike Haken |
| Christmas Social |
|The life of a Pit Pony || Stephanie Davies|
| General Topics - Rectors of Barwick |
| Sir Thomas Mallory's 'Death of King Arthur'- a Prison Romance.||Helen Cox |
| General Topics || Society members|
|6th March||National Service||Panel of Society Members|
|20th March||Annual General Meeting|
|25th April||Visit to be arranged|
Members visiting the Kursaal Summer 2018
|Photo: David Siviour|
|Fulneck Moravian Settlement in Pudsey||The cost is £4 per head plus extra for refreshemnts. Please let Ann Winter know as soon as possible if you plan to attend.
|Leeds Library, 18 Commercial Street.|| The oldest surviving subscription library of its type in the UK. Founded in 1768. Only 15 places available. Cost dependent on numbers about £5 approx.||10.30 am|
|Illustrated talk on the shortage of ambulances in 1914. ||They gave - WW1 Ambulances by Michael Copeland.||7.30 pm|
|Tour of the Royal Hall, Harrogate.||This is England’s
last remaining ‘Kursaal′ (Cure Hall). Completed in 1903 and provided the major entertainment venue for those visiting Harrogate to take the waters
|Walk round Boston Spa Heritage Trail.||Meet at Boston Spa library.||7.15 pm|